- This event has passed.
Fortran Modernisation Workshop
24th July 2016 - 25th July 2016Free
As CCFE is a licensed nuclear site, you are requested to bring with you a form of photographic identification, such as a passport. A full or provisional driving licence will suffice if it bears your photograph. You may not be given access to the site without this identification.
Registration: Please CLICK HERE to register.
The two day computational science-centric practical hands on workshop is aimed at Fortran programmers who want to write modern code, or modernise existing codes, to make it more readable and maintainable by encouraging good software engineering practices. Adopting good software practices makes codes more amenable to optimization and parallelisation, and the path to making it a community code a whole lot easier.
TOPICS WILL INCLUDE:
- Software engineering for computational science;
- Modern Fortran standards and how to write optimized and efficient Fortran;
- NetCDF and HDF5 scientific file formats for data sharing in Fortran;
- GNU Automake to automate the build process;
- pFUnit unit testing framework for testing Fortran codes;
- Doxygen for Fortran code documentation;
- Git version control for collaborative code development;
- In-memory visualisation using PLplot in Fortran;
- IEEE Floating Point Exception Handling
- Software verification and portability using the NAG Fortran compiler
- Fortran interoperability with C, Python and R;
- Introduction to parallelism for Fortran.